Monday, April 7, 2008
2 installs in 2 days
Two of my friends both decided that they wanted Arch Linux on their desktops this past weekend. I've gotten pretty friendly with the install/setup process of Arch in that time, as both of them are fairly new to the Linux environment. I hooked them both up with an Openbox environment similar to mine. I included Thunar, pypanel, feh, Firefox, and Pidgin in their default install. One of the friends wished to have gnome installed, as well, so I went ahead and did that, too.

After that weekend I appreciate my Google Notebook WAY more. I can search through all of my config files or any trials/tribulations I may have gone through to get my setup working. My next task is to merge a ton of commands into one, as I've got a lot of unsorted pacman commands floating around.

Issues on the friend's computers:
  • There's something wrong with one of the friend's hard drives. He said he had them setup in a raid, but the more I think about it, the less I'm staring to think that's the case. In any case, his boot times are severely gimped because of a bad hard drive or a bad sata cable.
  • The same friend's mouse (Microsoft Wireless 6000) has a major sensitivity issue. Both the wheel and the general movement is WAY too touchy. It's at the point where one is unable to choose a different workspace when scrolling on the openbox desktop: The dialog box pops up, but it goes fast enough so that it just ends up back on workspace 1 every time.
  • The second friend's net connection seems kinda iffy. I don't know if the arch mirrors were just down yesterday (a ton of them seemed to be not functioning), but we were getting a lot of "cannot connect to mirror" errors.
Right now, if I have to solve another computer issue today, my head is going to explode.