Friday, December 5, 2008
Mid Finals Frenzy Update
I'm in the middle of finals right now. It almost makes me feel guilty to update this while I SHOULD be studying, but... well, I just can't be bothered to study more than I already am.

I decided to just give my mother's computer fbpanel instead of the stalonetray + gtim combination I usually roll with. I might switch her off to lxpanel, though, since fbpanel seems a bit behind in its update status. For what it's worth, though, fbpanel does the trick. Since my mother and sister aren't quite as computer literate as myself, I figure they'd appreciate having an all-in-one tasktray, clock, tasklist, and app menu. The decision came about after trying to find a task list that would dock nicely in the openbox dock for WAY too long. In the end, it was a good decision, I believe. It brought life back to their old computer which had slowed to a crawl under an XP install. That wasn't meant to be a knock on XP... on a more powerful system, XP would have been acceptable. However, that baby's only cooking with 192 MB of RAM, so it is extremely sluggish.

Hmm... Christmas is coming... I think I know what to get for my mother now. Well, not JUST that, but you get the idea. Now I just need to find a sneaky way to find out what type of RAM to buy.

I need to work on a few of my packages in the AUR. I messed 'em up pretty nicely with my last edit and, being the responsible guy I am, never tested them out or fixed them. That'll be a nice little Christmas break project.